Mrs Saunders Recipes
EASTER BISCUITS - 14th April 20
110g caster sugar, plus extra for dusting
110g butter, softened
1 egg, separated
225g plain flour, sifted
pinch mixed spice
55g sultanas, soaked in a little milk
30g candied peel
- Preheat the oven to 160 deg C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Cream butter and sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk until well combined.
- Fold flour into the mixture, then stir in the mixed spice, sultanas and candied peel. Stir in enough milk to form a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough out onto a floured surface and cut out the biscuits with a fluted cutter. Place onto the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the biscuits from the oven, brush with the reserved egg white, sprinkle with the sugar and return to the oven for 5 minutes or until pale golden-brown.
- Remove the biscuits from the tray and set aside to cool on a wire rack.
(Makes 6) Preparation: about 25 minutes
60ml (4 tablespoons) golden syrup
25g cocoa powder
3 Shredded Wheats
12 sugar mini eggs
- Put butter, golden syrup and cocoa powder in a small saucepan and melt over a low heat, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat.
- Crumble the Shredded Wheat and mix into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir to coat well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 and shape into nests on a baking sheet covered with non stick baking parchment.
- Place in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
- Decorate with a couple of sugar mini eggs.
SWEETCORN AND POTATO SOUP
1 tin sweetcorn
3 medium potatoes
Peel and dice potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes.
Soften onion in oil and butter and cook for 8 minutes. Stir. Add the cooked, drained, potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more.
Make stock. Add to potato and onion mixture. Stir and add in sweetcorn.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Hand blend - keep some corn whole for texture.
Add cream and black pepper.
CHEESE & BACON SCONE PIZZA
Watch Mrs Saunders Make it above!
250g plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
50g butter, chopped
3 tablespoons milk
For the cheesy topping
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 green pepper, quartered, deseeded and finely sliced
4 rashers bacon, chopped
5 spring onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
2 tablespoons tomato passata
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
85g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Heat the oven to 220 deg C (Mark 7). Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then rub in the butter until it disappears. Mix the eggs and milk together, then stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough. Shape into a round on a lightly floured surface, lift onto a non-stick baking tray, then cut out, using a small plate as a template. This is the pizza base.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan then stir-fry the pepper for 5 minutes until softened. Add the spring onions and cook for a further 3 minutes . Add the bacon and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the bacon is starting to brown. Take off the heat.
- Spread the tomato passata over the pizza base, then evenly tip the pepper and bacon mixture on top. Scatter over the cheese and decorate with the cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve with a nice green salad.
3 Mars bars
5 shortbread biscuits
50g Rice Crispies
- Chop the Mars bars and put them in a small pan with the butter.
- Melt over a low heat.
- Break the shortbread into chunks and stir into the mixture.
- Add the marshmallows and Rice Crispies.
- Pres the mixture into paper cake cases.
- Leave to set in the fridge.
LENTIL AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHILLI
2 tablespoons oil
1 medium onion
2 garlic cloves
1 large pepper
2 cups lentils
2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 tin tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 litre stock
Half a butternut squash
2 cans any beans
- Chop onion
- Smash garlic
- Chop the butternut squash.
- Heat the oil and fry onion for 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the pepper and cook, stirring.
- Add the butternut squash and continue to stir.
- Add the lentils, cumin, oregano, chilli powder and salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bayleaf and stock. Bring to a simmer, partially cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 more minutes
- Discard the bayleaf. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust as necessary
- Serve hot, with parsley, sour cream, grated cheese and crusty bread.